Representations of users based off of qualitative and quantitative user research.
To create reliable and realistic representations of your key audience segments for reference
How to do it
- Conduct user research: Answer the following questions: Who are your users and why are they using the system? What behaviors, assumptions, and expectations color their view of the system?
- Condense the research: Look for themes/characteristics that are specific, relevant, and universal to the system and its users.
- Brainstorm: Organize elements into persona groups that represent your target users. Name or classify each group.
- Refine: Combine and prioritize the rough personas. Separate them into primary, secondary, and, if necessary, complementary categories. You should have roughly 3-5 personas and their identified characteristics.
- Make them realistic: Develop the appropriate descriptions of each personas background, motivations, and expectations. Do not include a lot of personal information. Be relevant and serious; humor is not appropriate.
How to use Personas -Usability.gov